Please read the guidelines below carefully to avoid ineligibility and to maximise your chances of working with us. In general, there are three golden rules that you should follow:
- Know what you want from us.We are a publisher, not an illustration agency! You should have a specific type of work collaboration in mind when you submit work to us. In other words: would you like to submit a picture book for consideration? Or perhaps a graphic novel? Or maybe a non-fiction picture book for children? Whatever it is you submit, make sure it is in line with something that we actually do.
- Be clear and concise.We have to sift through a lot of submissions, so please try to be clear and to the point in your pitch, whatever it may be. If you have a long manuscript or a long form graphic novel to submit, or even a completed picture book – that is fine, please send it in attachment. However, in your email please provide us with a brief summary and overview of your project so that we can quickly review the pitch before delving into the main body of work.
- Look at what we do. Look at our body of work and think, does what I want to pitch fit in with the Nobrow & Flying Eye canon of works? Even if it is something we have never done before, if you think your project is in line with our core values as a publisher, submit whatever you want!
General technical guidelines:
– Please make sure your emailed submissions are less than 5mb and preferably less than 3mb and that any images attached to your pitch are jpegs or in pdf format.
– Please ensure your text documents are Word or rtf format.
– Please make sure to provide your contact details, including your phone number so that we can contact you if we need to.
Picture Books and Illustrated Non-Fiction for Children
email your submission to: flyingeyesubs [at] nobrow [dot] net
Guidelines for submission:
- We will accept submissions for picture books that are 24 pages or 32 pages long (story) with a word count 500 words (1000 max) for picture books. For children’s non-fiction submissions we will accept pitches for books of up to 90 pages.
- We will require a brief synopsis of the story and the complete first draft of the text, this must be sent in attachment.
- If you are an illustrator/author or an illustrator author duo, you should supply a minimum of two finished double page spreads. In the case of a picture book submission, the remainder of the pages should ideally be visually roughed out as a first draft.
We are not currently accepting open portfolio or website link submissions.
Thank you in advance for your hard work and we look forward to seeing your submissions. Due to the number of submissions we receive, it may take some time for us to contact you, but we will contact you whether you have succeeded in your pitch or not.
The Flying Eye Team